July 25, 2011

"Fair" amount of Fun

So for those of you in Indiana, you probably know about Connor Prairie and the Marsh Symphony On the Prairie.  [If you would like to know more about them, click the links and find out about this awesome place and the events it offers]

Anyway, my grandmother went a few weekends ago, and heard an announcement about a Mini Maker Fair and County Fair being held at Connor Prairie. So I decided to look it up and like everything else I seem to be behind the ball on finding things out. The original application due date was today... but it is in my favor that they pushed it back to July 30th.

Now I have to decide if I should actually go forward and submit the application. It has a $100 deposit and if I want to be a vender, [which I am pretty sure that would be the point of me going] its another $100.
Ok, I think I have gotten my head wrapped around the fact that any promoting is either going to take lots of time and portion of my wallet. The main thing that is stopping me from filling out the application [since their is not even a guarantee that I will be accepted] is the "What we are looking for" on the website advertisement.
Maker Faire is a family fun festival to MAKE, create, learn, invent, CRAFT, recycle, build, think, play and be inspired by celebrating arts, crafts, engineering, food, music, science and technology.
  • Have a neat hobby, craft, or technique you'd like to share with others?
  • Do you know a craft or technique you'd like to share with others?
  • Built something in the basement your friends and family think you're spending way too much time on?
We want to see it, and we want everyone else to see it too!

What are we looking for?

•    Things that bridge the gap between the technical and imaginative
•    Hands-on activities (i.e. visitors to your booth can make something)
•    Student projects (K-12 or college)
•    Robots
•    Green Tech (energy production/monitoring, electric vehicles, etc.)
•    DIY Science and Technology
•    Old technologies, such as steam engines and other pre-1900 machines
•    Unusual tools, machines, techniques
•    Whimsical technical creations
•    Fixing and/or taking things apart
•    Using historic techniques to make strange or unusual things
We are not looking for arts and crafts that people would normally see in other venues. A display of landscape paintings would probably not be accepted, but a landscape painting robot, for example, will catch our eye. 
So I'm not completely sure Silk Painted scarves fit those categories. Maybe MarissaInk does qualify and I am just scared of actually filling out the application. Your input would be GREATLY appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment